Oct 05, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you use for your drawing ?
I use Gliffy.
What do you use for your comments system ?
How can I get started with Game Programming ?
- Read the source code of a shoot-em-up: They are easy to understand. Prototype won first place in the first shmup-dev competition. You can find the full source code and assets here. If C/C++ is too scary or you are more used to GC environments, you can read my Java version.
- Write a shoot-em-up: Use Prototype's sprite assets and let your creativity go wild. That's how I started.
- Read books. Mr Elusive (Jan Paul van Waveren from id Software) has a list of the best books: Read all of them.
- Read good game engine code: The code reviews on this side are good starting points.
- Practice and write a more complex game. Language doesn't matter, the important is to attempt to emulate yourself.
How can I become a good C developer ?
I wrote an article recommanding the best books about C. You can find it here.
How can I become a good C++ developer ?
I am currently writing an article about that.